Hi there!
I'm keeping this blog to share my design work and process for the Fall Production of Into the Woods at The Park School where I teach in the Visual Art Department.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

color palettes, first round.


Thanks to some tips from Anand and Laila I've finally discovered how awesome COLOURlovers is. It's an online tool that lets you create palettes of 5 colors that you can either choose from an infinite amount of options or better yet....

Users can upload images and it'll pick key colors from those images and you can structure your palette using those as a guide.
WOWEE ZOWEE.
One of my big inspirations for the look of the set is Mary Blair. Mary Blair is an illustrator from the 1950’s, one of the only women working in male dominated world of Disney in the even more sexist pre-Mad Men era. She’s most well known for her concept art for Disney’s Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and Cinderella. She also designed all the wonderful parts of It’s a Small World for the 1964 Worlds Fair, which is now replicated at Disneyland in Anaheim, CA, as well as all Disney parks across the globe. Don’t hold her responsible for that scary song or the creepiness of the animatronic children.

So obviously I needed to spend a chunk of my afternoon running some of my favorite Mary Blair drawings from Alice in Wonderland through the photo part of COLOURlovers. This was a great way to narrow the color palette down fast, and should help communicate what I'm thinking in terms of color easily with Peter and Pam.